We were driving home immediately before our second hail storm of the week, though this one was nothing like what happened on Monday! It only lasted two minutes. Just before it happened it was bright and sunny and hot! I guess this is the weather you have to expect when you live near the mountains…
Canberra officially has less rain than pretty much anywhere else in the nation. It’s just that this year has been insane.
As close as I dared to get to the windows while the hail was falling on Monday evening! It’s annoying how things never look anywhere near as bad in pictures.
Random shot from the car park(!) near Hotel Hotel in Canberra this afternoon.
Just driving around the outskirts of Canberra on the weekend.
…The deck is still covered in ice!
It’s hot here, but if you just saw this picture you would think it was the middle of winter in the Northern Hemisphere! It’s a pretty crappy picture because I took it through a window at about 4am!
There was an even crazier summer hail storm in Canberra ten years ago, where there was a HUGE amount of damage, but I was living in Korea then, and so only saw it in news pictures.
In the southern part of Canberra, at least. It was unbelievable! Also, it was a bit scary. For a number of minutes before it hit, before we had a single raindrop, there was this huge, deafening and terrifying roaring sound (which I guess was hail falling nearby), and we knew something frightening was coming, but we didn’t know what.
Then suddenly these huge pieces of ice, ten times bigger than regular hailstones, started hitting our windows, coming in almost horizontally. It was so strong we had to stand back from the glass because it was likely to break.
We did sustain damage to pretty much every window frame, as well as to the back deck. The space above the stove in the kitchen had a waterfall running from it, the fireplace leaked everywhere – outside the fireplace, not inside it! – and the fan vent thingy in the bathroom also leaked. Then we lost power for hours. Thankfully we’re the sort of people who have lots of candles in the house!
Thank God we’d already let the neighbour’s cat into the house before it hit, because it would have been horrible for him out there.
It was my father’s birthday party, so it was a memorable one!