In the southern part of Canberra, at least. It was unbelievable! Also, it was a bit scary. For a number of minutes before it hit, before we had a single raindrop, there was this huge, deafening and terrifying roaring sound (which I guess was hail falling nearby), and we knew something frightening was coming, but we didn’t know what.
Then suddenly these huge pieces of ice, ten times bigger than regular hailstones, started hitting our windows, coming in almost horizontally. It was so strong we had to stand back from the glass because it was likely to break.
We did sustain damage to pretty much every window frame, as well as to the back deck. The space above the stove in the kitchen had a waterfall running from it, the fireplace leaked everywhere – outside the fireplace, not inside it! – and the fan vent thingy in the bathroom also leaked. Then we lost power for hours. Thankfully we’re the sort of people who have lots of candles in the house!
Thank God we’d already let the neighbour’s cat into the house before it hit, because it would have been horrible for him out there.
It was my father’s birthday party, so it was a memorable one!