This evening a year ago, Canberra was hit by a freak summer hailstorm that caused huge damage.
It was my father’s birthday – the day before Australia Day – and we suddenly heard this HUGE, deafening noise coming from the southwest. I ordered the neighbour’s cat (who was hanging out here) into our house. We closed everything up.
And then it hit us, and we had to stand a full metre from the glass because the sports ball-sized ice was coming in at a huge angle and smacking against the glass. We all ended up with some significant damage to our houses. The roof leaked, and most of our doors, windows and decks were damaged.
It seems we have freak weather at this time every year now! Sometimes it’s hail, and sometimes it’s fire.
The back deck eight hours afterwards. It was a hot day; there’s still ice everywhere!
The Canberra Times actually used this picture – no idea why, as it’s no masterpiece.
The neighbours’ cat investigating during the storm.
And it took the neighbours’ cat twenty-four hours to move back into our house! Also, our garden seems to think it’s still autumn. It’s no colder here in winter than it was for most our trip to Europe in summer!
Cat and a family of magpies just hanging out… This is how every afternoon is around here.
In the southern part of Canberra, at least. It was unbelievable! Also, it was a bit scary. For a number of minutes before it hit, before we had a single raindrop, there was this huge, deafening and terrifying roaring sound (which I guess was hail falling nearby), and we knew something frightening was coming, but we didn’t know what.
Then suddenly these huge pieces of ice, ten times bigger than regular hailstones, started hitting our windows, coming in almost horizontally. It was so strong we had to stand back from the glass because it was likely to break.
We did sustain damage to pretty much every window frame, as well as to the back deck. The space above the stove in the kitchen had a waterfall running from it, the fireplace leaked everywhere – outside the fireplace, not inside it! – and the fan vent thingy in the bathroom also leaked. Then we lost power for hours. Thankfully we’re the sort of people who have lots of candles in the house!
Thank God we’d already let the neighbour’s cat into the house before it hit, because it would have been horrible for him out there.
It was my father’s birthday party, so it was a memorable one!
I found the neighbour’s cat escaping the Canberra heatwave by hanging out under our deck.
A minute later he rolled over on my foot and went to sleep. Poor man…
We spent some time clearing out my late-grandmother’s house on Saturday. All her blossoms are out, and the garden is gorgeous! X
We have also picked up another stray cat. This is one of many we’ve had in recent times, and this one is such a lovely-natured creature.
Look at this idiot! It was raining so we had to let him in because he looked so sad… I wonder who owns him, and if they worry he’s always at our house and not theirs. He turned up groomed today, so somebody is paying for him – even if they never see him!